Corporate training and evaluation expert Dave Basarab, Founder of Dave Basarab Consulting, helps training and development professionals enhance their skills, learn new methodologies and, ultimately, improve the way they train. In fact, he regularly helps companies positively impact their training ROI by as much as 200-300%. As a highly-respected thought leader in the design, delivery and evaluation industry, Dave has spent several decades leading corporate training programs for companies across a variety of industries - including multiple Fortune 500 companies. Dave leverages his vast experience and best practices in his sessions, providing practical and actionable information for more effective learning.
Crafting Enterprise Learning Plans
Learning is an economic elixir. It makes people and organizations more adaptable, responsive and nimble. It serves as the bedrock for innovation, as it’s impossible to innovate without learning something new. It’s the foundation for extraordinary customer service, employee attraction, retention, and development and is the fuel for profitable growth. It can shape culture. And when it’s done right, it’s one of those rarest opportunities – where employers’ and employees’ needs are in perfect harmony. In the vast majority of cases, learning offers significant benefits for both employers and employees.
Learning investments require a long-term focus and an ability to balance the tradeoffs between profits today for greater returns in the future. In short, having the right learning strategy will increase an organization’s ability to create value.
In this session, Dave shares his proven process to build a robust, best-in-class Enterprise Learning Plan. Dave will demonstrate how to:
- Review your competency assessment data available for the target audiences and identify the trends.
- Interview a cross-section of key executive and subject matter experts to outline the ideal requirements for “Master Performers” in your target audiences.
- Identify the gaps that exist between your current skill levels and your needed performance levels.
- Review your company’s current Strategic Plan and HR Strategy.
- Revise your Enterprise Learning Plan, outlining the training needed to get your target population to current ideal states and how to prepare them for future roles.
Dave explains how to provide a framework for the identification, design, development, deployment, and evaluation of the curriculum. His learning plans examine the curriculum in the broadest strategic context then guides curriculum designers in drilling down to the most discrete curricular components.
Training Transfer: The Secret Sauce for Making it Stick
Learning is continuous and shouldn’t stop when a training session ends. The Training Transfer approach is a total immersion learning experience that emphasizes training transfer, which drives adoption, which drives impact (company value). Organizations are encouraged to think beyond training sessions to ensure the information “sticks” and will be used effectively in the workplace. This interactive presentation demonstrates how to incorporate training and development lessons into "real world" situations.
It will cover how to integrate training into your teams' work behavior and implement activities and techniques that will increase your company’s training transfer rate to 60-70% or more. Additionally, attendees will learn how to use innovative techniques throughout the entire process - from pre-course, training, and post-course - to successfully drive training transfer.
In this session, attendees will learn:
- What is "training transfer" and why is it important?
- More than 20 specific actions to do before, during and after training to improve the "stickiness" of their training
- How to partner with management for training's roll-out, so more skills are transferred to the workplace
- The importance of planning for training transfer in the earliest set-up phases of your training - and how this increases training's ROI.
- How to cultivate a "training transfer mindset and culture" in your company
Predictive Evaluation: Ensuring Training Delivers Business and Organizational Results
- Do you struggle to define training's success?
- Are you fighting to justify the training's value within your organization?
- Does your organization view training as an expense versus an investment with predicted return?
- Do you need a method of predicting (forecasting) the training's value to help decide whether to train?
- Are your current evaluation efforts always "after the fact"?
- Do you want to measure success using leading indicators that drive continuous improvement?
Predictive Evaluation is the first and only training and evaluation approach to add the element of prediction. Using Dave’s innovative new Predictive Evaluation (PE) Model, trainers and business leaders can now successfully predict training’s results, value, intention, adoption and impact, allowing them to make smarter, more strategic training and evaluation investments.
Dave, who (literally) wrote the book on Predictive Evaluation, regularly helps his clients maximize their training ROI by as much as 200 to 300%.
Predictive Evaluation enables you to effectively and accurately forecast training’s value to your company, measure against these predictions, establish indicators to track your progress (and make mid-course corrections if needed) and report the results in a language that business executives respond to and understand. This approach can be used for any sort of training program, in any setting, whether planned, newly implemented, or long-established. Predictive Evaluation is collaborative, as supervisors and employees work together to establish standards for success each step of the way. The process helps guarantee that training results will be relevant to the business and gives all participants a sense of ownership in the process.
Learning Bursts: A Different Way to Deliver Training
- In today's fast-paced business environment, is it difficult for your employees to find time for training?
- Do your employees do training on their own schedule (when they want it vs. when the training department offers it)?
- Do you need to reduce travel and other related training expenses while still providing the same quality experiences as "traditional" classroom training?
- Would you like your employees to learn a significant amount - without spending significant time getting trained?
- Would you like a training approach that's memorable, engaging, effective and fun?
Then you need the innovative Learning Burst training approach.
Each Learning Burst covers one topic in an online "mini-course" that consists of an 8 to 10-minute audio cast and a workbook in PDF that includes simulations, quizzes, interactive exercises and case studies.
To date, thousands of employees from Fortune 100 companies have been taking Learning Bursts as a replacement - or supplement - to traditional classroom training.
Dave will explain why the groundbreaking Learning Burst approach is superior to other training methods, saving companies tremendous time and money - while still providing the robust benefits of a classroom-based training program.